Memorandum for Record 19 August 2000
SUBJECT: Minutes of the Japanese American Veterans Assn ofWashington , DC.
1. An Executive Council meeting of JAVA was held on August 19,2000 at the residence of Phil Ishio, the newly elected President of JAVA.
2. Items not on the agenda:
4. Tax Exempt Status:
5. Mailing Lists:
It was brought up that some members object to having their addresses and telephone numbers distributed widely such as the roster of JAVA members. Dr Takafuji recommended that in mailing out requests for membership dues , a statement be included saying that the member does not object to having his name on the roster to be circulated among JAVA members and included in the JAVA website ; that it would be signed by the members. This move would be legally correct.
6. Fred Murakami (who was absent at this meeting), Phil Ishio, Jerry Yamada and others formed a Veterans Subcommittee to give the veterans a more visible role during the NJAMF dedication ceremonies. On Saturday, November 11, there will be a Veterans breakfast at the Holiday Inn (near the Memorial site) at 8:30AM. There will be three Medal of Honor recipients as guests at this function. They are: George Sakato, Hershey Miyamura (Korean War MOH recipient and speaker at the breakfast), and one other from Hawaii. The Foundation will pick up the tabs for their tickets only and their hotel accommodations etc will be picked up from contributions from various veterans organizations. Kelly Kuwayama offered to pick up Sakato at the airport and Joe Ichiuji offered to pick up the delegate from Hawaii. Phil will be responsible for Hershey.
7. Wreath Laying Ceremonies:
The wreath laying ceremony will be at the Monument at 11:30 on November 11th . (also National Veterans Day). 800 has already signed up and the problem will be space for the street bordering the Monument will not the closed for the second time. It is being negotiated.
8. Items for Sale
9. Full Page Ad in the NJAMF’s publication. Someone thought JAVA had already approved the sum of $1,000 for the one page ad, but apparently nothing was done. Phil will check into this and try to get the ad in. (I checked the JAVA website minutes and on Jan 15 meeting, the sum of $1,000 was approved. Copy of minutes faxed to Phil )
11. Display of Appreciation to Senator Akaka
12. A Generous Contribution from Mike Okusa.
Mike Okusa offered to contribute a sum of $ 2,350 to help JAVA defray some of the expenses related to the dedication ceremonies. The sum of $350 was for NJAMF’s program of an add in the Washington Post naming organizations, companies and individuals supporting the Memorial.
Submitted by Grant Ichikawa, interim temporary Secretary replacing Dave Buto.